Welcome to Year One!
The Year 1 team
How fast has this school year gone? We were just getting to know each other when suddenly we were doing our Christmas play, then a few super trips to the woods and Cosford and it was time for the Easter Bonnet parade. Four short weeks led up to May half term and we were in the final straight. Having had lots of fun preparing for sports day I do hope you can join us tomorrow afternoon. The forecast looks perfect, not too hot but dry. So please send your child to school with their PE kit (plain white t-shirt, plain black shorts, white socks and pumps or a trainers) and a sun hat just incase of bright weather.
Swimming lessons have recommenced for Year one on Mondays. For swimming children need a swimming costume or trunks, swimming hat and towel in a plastic bag.
P.E. Lessons will take place on Tuesday afternoons, but P.E. kits can be sent in as soon as possible and kept on pegs. The children will need black jogging trousers, a white t-shirt and pair of pumps or trainers in a drawstring bag.
Please make sure that every item is clearly labelled with your child’s name.
Homework bags will be sent home every Friday and are to be returned by the following Wednesday. They will contain:
- a reading book, from the Rising Stars reading scheme, for your child to read to you and talk about
- a reading record book, please comment on your child's reading and sign this so that the reading book can be changed
- a spellings sheet showing the words your child wrote last week and new words for your child to learn this week ready for the test on Tuesday morning
- a letter sheet for your child to practise their letter formation on and draw things beginning with the correct letter on the reverse. (These sheets will be kept and bound together to form a dictionary at the end of Year 1.)
- we follow the Read Write Inc phonics programme and will sometimes include a sound or speed words for your child to practice at home.
This week in Year 1...
We took part in French Day.
Which material makes the best umbrella?
Or maybe tin foil?
Who got wet?
We all enjoyed a walk around our local area.
We “made” and tasted Lilly Pad stew!
Year one met Mr. McGregor, but were so surprised they forgot to get a photo!
We found some flowers and looked at them very closely.
We were presented with certificates for gaining lots of house points.
We have all enjoyed walks around Chasewater.
A very special astronaut came to visit.
We thought about planning a trip to the moon.
We were thinking about what bullying is.
we made fruit ships to help the pirates recover from scurvy.
we have learnt about some endangered animals and thought about ways we could help them.
We have read “The Snail and the Whale” by Julia Donaldson after finding messages left by the snail.
We have also painted flags which will be part of an art installation at the memorial arboretum. As well as enjoying our third parent/carer workshop.
Blackbeard left us some treasure in the treasure chest which we have used to play a sleeping pirate game in maths, working out how much treasure has gone missing.
So we have had another busy week in Year one! Enjoy the weekend and look forward to more fun next week.