In a world where it is thought that children can no longer ‘play out’ freely and safely, Millfield staff appreciate the importance and value of learning through outdoor play.
Mrs Brandrick and Mrs Beard run the outdoor session, it takes place in ‘The Den’ on the field. The Den has access to the ‘wild area’ the ‘bird hide’ the ‘meadow’ ‘allotments’ and our beautiful field.
All children have access to a puddle suit (a waterproof all in one) and wellies, but if you have your own clothes and footwear that's great!
Just a few points that highlight the benefits the children can experience from the outdoor environment;
- Access to space with opportunities to be their natural, exuberant, physical and noisy selves
- Fresh air and experience of different weathers
- Endless opportunities for discovery, play and talk
- Social opportunities that build relationships, and develop self esteem
- Lots of opportunities to set themselves challenges and to learn how to keep themselves safe.
- To learn about the natural world.
Children are invited to stay all day 8.55 - 3.15 they will spend a session in Nursery class and a session in the Woodland area. All children will need to bring a packed lunch.
This is our eighth year of Woodland Wednesday we have seen lots of children’s confidence and self esteem develop. Also the children’s personal and social skills have improved as they, learn in a different environment with different members of staff.
We are so convinced of the success of Woodland Wednesday that we have now introduced Tulip Tuesday and Thistle Thursday to the Reception children. This takes place during an afternoon and is run by Mrs Bates.
We are very proud of our nursery and Woodland sessions and invite you to call in and see us learning and having fun!