In a world where it is thought that children can no longer ‘play out’ freely and safely, Millfield staff appreciate the importance and value of learning through outdoor play.
Mrs Brandrick and Miss Lewis run the outdoor session, it takes place in ‘The Den’ on the field. The Den has access to the ‘wild area’ the ‘bird hide’ the ‘meadow’ ‘allotments’ and our beautiful field.
All children have access to a puddle suit (a waterproof all in one) and wellies, but if you have your own clothes and footwear that's great!
Just a few points that highlight the benefits the children can experience from the outdoor environment;
- Access to space with opportunities to be their natural, exuberant, physical and noisy selves
- Fresh air and experience of different weathers
- Endless opportunities for discovery, play and talk
- Social opportunities that build relationships, and develop self esteem
- Lots of opportunities to set themselves challenges and to learn how to keep themselves safe.
- To learn about the natural world.
The children who attend nursery for 15 hours go home for lunch at 11 30 and come back for Woodlands at 12 45 until 3 15.
The children who come to nursery for 30 hours go down to the den at 9 00 and Mrs Brandrick and Miss Lewis bring them back to nursery for lunch.
The children attend these sessions on a Wednesday only.
This is our fifth year of Woodland Wednesday we have seen lots of children’s confidence and self esteem develop. Also the children’s personal and social skills have improved as they, learn in a different environment with different members of staff.
We are so convinced of the success of Woodland Wednesday that we have now introduced Thistle Thursday to the Reception children. This takes place on a Thursday afternoon and is run by Mrs Dolman.
We are very proud of our nursery and Woodland sessions and invite you to call in and see us having learning and having fun!