In a world where it is thought that children can no longer 'play out' freely and safely Millfield Staff appreciate the importance and value of learning through outdoor play.
An experienced team of staff run the outdoor sessions. These sessions start in ‘The Den’ on the field. The Den has access to the ‘wild area’ the ‘bird hide’ the ‘meadow’ ‘allotments’ and our beautiful field.
All children have access to a waterproof suit and wellies.
All Nursery children have a session in the Den on Wednesdays.
Reception children are split into two small groups and have their session on either Tuesday or Thursday.
Just a few points that highlight the benefits the children can experience from the outdoor environment;
- Access to space with opportunities to be their natural, exuberant, physical and noisy selves
- Fresh air and experience of different weathers
- Endless opportunities for discovery, play and talk
- Social opportunities that build relationships, and develop self esteem
- Lots of opportunities to set themselves challenges and to learn how to keep themselves safe.
- To learn about the natural world.
We have been running these sessions for almost ten years!! During this time we have been delighted to see lots of children's confidence and self esteem develop, their personal and social skills have improved as they learn in a natural environment with different members of staff.